Tuesday 5 April 2011

Shit Aspects of Our Culture...

I do wish that some aspects of our culture would die. Here are a few:

-The insistence on the part of film producers on mass-producing action films anyone with a teaspoonful of brain matter could keep up with. Hollywood is the worst offender here. Make more engaging films more often! I want to be forced to think when I watch it. I want the film to stay with me for ever!

-The concept that losing an argument is somehow bad and deserves ridicule. Likewise, the idea that winning an argument gives you the right to gloat. Losing an argument is fine and the winner should allow the loser to reshape their ideas without fear of being mocked or accused of weakness.

-Patriotism/nationalism. I am not "proud" to be British. I didn't choose to be British, so what is there to be proud of? I am proud of the individuals who fought and died to make a better life for those of us who follow. I am proud of some of the achievements of the organisation governing the patch of land I was born in. But I am not proud of my country simply because it is my country. If Britain was occupied by another power, I would collaborate if life would remain the same or get better for the people. I would likewise fight if I perceived the occupation to worsen life for the people and myself. I wouldn't fight for a flag or an organisation.

I would be happy to see the formation of a federal European Union (or even United Nations) in my lifetime. Borders are increasingly irrelevant. Why let them outlive their usefulness?

-Segregation. This one is already almost dead, so I am hopeful about this one. Nevertheless, it is still there, albeit in a weakened state.

No comments:

Post a Comment