Wednesday 13 April 2011

How to Utterly Bamboozle Strangers in the Street

Well that was the most obnoxious thing I've done in ages.
I was walking along Hunter Road (in Brough, near my house) eating what was left of my broken galaxy bar when some couple maybe in their late forties or early fifties were walking towards me. As I got near them they crossed the road and glanced at me in a nervous "ooh, better avoid that teenager wearing a hoodie" sort of way.
That kind of pisses me off when people do that. What do they expect me to do? Pull out a knife and attack them? I'm just some awkward, slightly gawky person. I'm not some bloody psycho.

So I crossed the road to say hello.

They weren't very comfortable about me crossing the road towards them. Were their worst fears were coming true? Would I perhaps gut them both there and then and escape like a ghost in the night?
"Hello, would you like some Galaxy?!?" I said.
Stunned silence.
"Go on, take a bit."
So the woman did. The man still held back.
"You sure you don't want any?" I poked the air in front of him. He took some, eventually.
"See?" I said. "Just because someone's wearing a hoodie doesn't mean they're a thug or whatever. Some of us give out chocolate to passers-by!"
Baffled silence. The woman glanced nervously at her husband.
"Bye then," I said and crossed the road.
They probably didn't even eat the chocolate, to be honest. They just sort of held it.

Intimidating old people with savage acts of senseless, arbitrary niceness is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment