Wednesday 10 August 2011

Two exchanges between myself and others on Facebook

Posted on the off-chance some people might find it interesting:

On the Facebook group "Smashing up your own city because you have the IQ of a ham sandwich" someone called Wayne Lush posted the following:

Wayne Lush: "Vote BNP this stuff won't happen"

My response was:

Me: "What, because the BNP would have sent in the SS by now and gunned the rioters down? Because they would have sent them to concentration camps? Fucktarded though the rioters may be, the BNP in power is by far the greater of the two evils."


I then received a private message from someone else called Mary Kingdon (not "Kingdom"):

Mary Kingdon: "Hey, I don't like this comment. Please remove it. [she then posted a copy-paste of my comment] Link to content:
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=175989085806344&id=175743665830886"

'Ooh!' I thought. 'A chance to argue with a stranger on the internet! I must respond.'

Me: "With all due respect, I wouldn't take it down even if the Prime Minister, the Dalai Lama and the Archbishop of Canterbury said together that they were offended. One right we do not have is the right to not be offended.

You could perhaps persuade me that my comment is inappropriate or disproportionate-in which case I will still leave it up for historical purposes, but add a disclaimer in the same comment section rather than take it down and pretend I never said it.

In any case, I can't see why a reasonable individual would dislike my comment. It is an attack on both the stupidity of the protesters and the policies of a far-right, neo-Nazi political party."

Her response then baffled me slightly:

Mary Kingdon: "Bullshit. I have been offended by your arrogant and childish comments. I abhor your nazi tendencies as would all right thinking Brits. You just jumped on a bandwagon and followed the pack mentallity which is what the youths were doing. Because you lack respect for others in the same way. Oh and don't waste time replying because I will have blocked you from doing this."

So I replied, with no real idea what the fuck they were talking about at this point:

Me: "Nevertheless, I shall reply, for there is some chance you shall read what I have to say.
I feel you may not have actually read what I said. What "nazi tendencies" did I exhibit? I am the one opposing the BNP. The BNP are the ones with Nazi tendencies.
I am not sure what you mean by "pack mentality". When I typed my original comment, it appeared to my screen that there were no other comments below. I did not know that others would post.
In what way do I "lack respect for others"?"

No comments:

Post a Comment